Beech’s Best Lancashire Hotpot
Combining just eight ingredients, this recipe is perfect if you want a comforting, hearty dish that’s easy to make.
- 4 Maris Piper Potatoes – Roughly Sliced
- 500g Beech’s Pendle Lamb Chunks
- 2 Medium White Onions – Sliced
- 25g Plain Flour
- 100g Local Butter
- 500ml Fresh Chicken Stock
- A Pinch of Salt & Pepper
- 1 Heat your oven to 160C/fan 140C/gas 3.
- 2 Soften the onions in a pan with several chunks of butter, this should take around five minutes (be careful not to burn the onions).
- 3 Pop the lamb into a bowl and sprinkle some flower, salt and pepper onto it – it’ll help soak up the lamb juices – mix.
- 4 Place the potatoes into a bowl, melt some butter in a bowl and tip it onto the potatoes – mix.
- 5 Get a good quality terracotta dish and layer half of the onions onto the bottom.
- 6 Place the lamb on top of the onions.
- 7 Add the other half of the onions on top of the lamb.
- 8 Add the sliced potatoes on top of the onions, and pour the chicken stock all over the dish.
- 9 Add a pinch of salt and pepper to the top of the dish.
- 10 Place into the oven for 2.5 hours with the lid on, and another 25 with the lid off to brown the dish off.
Watch the video to see John cook this Lancashire classic.
Beech’s top-tip: serve with braised red cabbage and baby carrots to give it the wow factor.